Monday 21 August 2017

Pronouns

Pronouns

A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a common
noun or a proper noun. There are different kinds of pronouns.

Personal Pronouns:
The words I, you, he, she, it, we and they are called
personal pronouns. They take the place of nouns and
are used as the subject of the verb in a sentence.

My name is David. I am the youngest in the family.
This is my father. He is a teacher.
This is my mother. She is a lawyer.
I have a brother and two sisters.
They are Peter, Sharon and Jenny.
I have a dog. It is called Lucky.
Lucky, you are a good dog.
Good morning, children! You may sit down now.
My family and I live in a big city. We have an apartment.

The subject of a sentence is the person, animal,
place or thing that does the action shown by the
verb.

There are three groups of pronouns: first person,
second person and third person.
The person speaking is called the first person.
The first-person pronouns are I or me (in the singular) and
we or us (in the plural).

The person spoken to is called the second person. The
second-person pronoun is you (in both singular and plural).
The person (or animal, or thing) spoken about is called the
third person. The third-person pronouns are he or him, she or
her, and it (in the singular), and they or them (in the plural).
The word I is always spelled with a capital letter.
The pronoun he is used for men and boys, she for
women and girls, and it for things and animals.

Here is a table to help you.

Subject       Object
First person singular :                                   I               me
Second person singular:                               you           you
Third person singular :                                  he            him
                                                                      she           her
                                                                       it             it
First person plural :                                      we            us
Second person plural :                                  you          you
Third person plural :                                    they        them

Reflexive Pronouns
The words myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves and themselves are called reflexive pronouns. They refer to the person or animal that is the subject of the verb.

I made this cake myself.
Be careful with the knife. You’ll cut yourself.
Michael is looking at himself in the mirror.
Susan has hurt herself.
Our cat washes itself after each meal.
We organized the party all by ourselves.
Come in, children, and find yourselves a seat.
Baby birds are too young to look after themselves.


Interrogative Pronouns
The words who, whom, whose, what and which are called interrogative pronouns.
These pronouns are used to ask questions. Who can be used as the object of a verb as well
as the subject. Whom is used only as the object. 
For example, you can say:
Whom
Whom are you playing with?
What
Who
Who is he talking to?
Who are those people?
Whom are you playing with?
Whom is he talking to?
What is your dog’s name?
What are you talking about?
What is the time?
Which
Which of these bags is yours?
Which do you prefer?
Whose
Whose is this umbrella?
Whose are these gloves?

No comments:

Post a Comment